A building permit for this colonial revival home, located in the Historic Wilson Island District (block 8, lots 9 and 10), was issued on November 17, 1919 (98 years ago today!). Shorb and Meade were the homebuilders/contractors, and the work was completed for the amount of $15,000. The house was built on two city lots, which is why the current property is larger than the standard size lots in the area.
L. Blasingame – 1st resident of 710 E. Pine
The following time-line of residents has been created by using the information gleaned from the local city annual directories. Once the names and years were identified, additional information has been found on a variety of ancestry-related websites and census documents.
1919-1923: Lee Blasingame (1861-1936) and Armita Ellen Blasingame (1877-1967) were the first residents of this home. They had two daughters: Dorothy and Mary (twins born in 1903). Lee was a cashier at the First National Bank. He eventually left this job to join his brother in farming and raising sheep and cattle. He also owned a vineyard. Lee’s father was Jesse Augustus Blasingame, who came to California from Alabama in 1849. His goal was to find his fortune during the Gold Rush, and he later became a successful rancher. The extended Blasingame family was honored as a Clovis Founder’s Family in 1999.
1924-1933: Harry J. Craycroft (1877-1932), a surgeon, and Grace S. Shaver Craycroft (1885 -1943) lived in the house for almost 10 years. They had two children: a daughter, Marion S. (1913-?) and a son, Burr (1914-1967). Harry was part of the Craycroft Brick Company family. Grace was the daughter of C.B. Shaver and Lena Roberts Shaver. Shaver Lake was named after C.B. Shaver.
1933-34: Eugene Ainsworth (1891-1938) and Elizabeth Steinbeck Ainsworth (1894-1992) and family lived here for a short time. Eugene was the manager of the Fresno Cotton Compress and Warehouse while living in Fresno. Elizabeth was the sister of John Steinbeck, the novelist. Their children included Robert born in 1927, and twins Elizabeth and John born in 1930. John died in 1933 in a drowning accident (irrigation ditch nearby). Some records indicate that Eugene and Elizabeth had another daughter, Jean, after leaving the Pine house. From Fresno, they moved to Stockton, CA. Eugene died of blood poisoning a few years later.
1935: Frank G. Pringle and Grace Pringle are listed as residents in 1935. Frank was a district manager for Safeway Stores Inc. I have not been able to find any information on this family.
1936-1977: Walter Stammer (1891-1969) and Dorothy Wilhite Stammer (1899-1977) spent multiple decades in the home. Walter was a lawyer. They had four children: Mary (1921-1935), Virginia (1924-), Joan (1929- ?), and Walter Jr. (1934- ). Their daughter Mary (1921-1935) was fatally shot in their Fig Garden home. They moved to the Pine Avenue home shortly after this incident. After Walter’s death, Dorothy stayed in the house until approximately 1971 when she moved to an assisted living home. The family wasn’t sure but thinks the house was empty until it sold in 1977.
1977-2016: Sylvia Foraker, an Irish Catholic single mother, raised six children in the Pine house. Sylvia worked at the Diocese of Fresno Chancery and Pastoral Center for 29 years before retiring in 2016. Her St. Patrick Day parties were renowned according to friends and neighbors.
So many people, so many stories. Hopefully some can be discovered and shared. The research continues…